Skip to main content

Poem of One's Life

The people in my country are always running
They cannot sit; they are rushing and suffering
They cannot LIVE—because they are trying to survive

In Arabic “The Life of the world is like the rain/That waters the crops of the earth” (10:24)

I was not even a year old, when my family ran
A migration across mountains
Marked desperation mounted
In raids, bombs, and blockades
And once, they got caught
Caved, covered by an avalanche of rock
Left to die
But that wasn’t what my sister wanted
My sister dug us out

The people in my country do not have time to think
They no longer hear the voice of rivers
Or the smell of flowers in spring

Because Afghanistan, they say, is the most dangerous place in the world
I felt this violence when a bullet tore through me, on the front line fighting The Taliban
I felt it as I watched the rain fall that night
I watched it stream over Daud’s scarf; Daud, he was next to me
I saw it in the tears of the man who rescued me
But it hurt me most when it took my brother; my brother was my light
In fact, my whole town felt it when he died.
Because it happened just before his wedding
We had beautiful decorations, and dress—
That was used for his funeral instead

But I’ve learned how to go ahead with life

In Arabic “The life of the world is like the rain/That waters the crops of the earth” (10:24)

Because I can also feel the warmth of my country
My people! My people can move, and
In peace, my people could thrive
With God as my guide
Before I die
I’m going to do something
I’m going to make something for my people

Because I think internationally
Because God created you, and me
Without a line in between
The brown, white, west, east
There is no sense in these boundaries
We close doors
And cause disorder
In our effort to uphold borders
Which is why, I just don’t believe in them

My people! Let us clean our hearts, and LIVE TOGETHER

In Arabic and English “The life of the world is like the rain/That waters the crops of the earth” (10:24)

by: Aria Florant
Stanford University, CA, USA
March, 2007

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ashraf Ghani’s peace offer to the Taliban means war?

On February 28, 2018, Ashraf Ghani presented, what many label,  a “comprehensive” peace offer to the Taliban at the  Kabul Process II . Since then, a web of “political analysts” have written  opinion pieces  in support of Ghani’s bold move thanks to his vast influential network of friends and supporters in global mass media. Quite frankly, almost every piece written is inclined to praise President Ghani for his peace offer to the Taliban, a group of ruthless terrorists engaged in terrorizing and killing innocent people since 1996. The Taliban are globally known for their facilitating role in the tragic attacks of 9/11 that horrified the world. This is, indeed, unfortunate that mainstream international media and “political analysts” have implicitly echoed a narrative most suitable to Ghani and the Taliban sympathizers while, whether intentionally or not, ignoring the other sides of the story. As expected, President Ghani has been working tirelessly to promote his Taliban friendl

Fulbright Workshop in Washington

This picture was taken in Washington D.C. in December of 2005.

Random